Last updated 9 August 2016

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal and courts

If a dispute arises about goods or services, consumers can take action in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal, which deals with disputes between consumers and traders involving up to $25 000. The time limit for making a complaint is six years from when the dispute arose. The tribunal provides for an upfront one-off filing fee, but otherwise there are no costs, and lawyers cannot be engaged unless the tribunal allows it.

Where the tribunal does not have jurisdiction, consumers must bring an action in the Magistrates Court.


Consumers may try the court’s mediation service at dispute resolution centres in Queensland.

Alternative dispute resolution schemes

Consumers can also take their complaint to alternative dispute resolution schemes depending on the goods or services purchased. Schemes are free for consumers. There are schemes for most financial products and services.