Last updated 12 September 2018

Reporting the act of violence

In most cases, to be eligible for financial assistance, the violent crime needs to have been reported to police. However, for special primary victims, the act of violence can be reported to police, a doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, counsellor or domestic violence support service (s 81 Victims of Crime Assistance Act 2009 (Qld) (VOCA Act)).

A special primary victim is a primary victim of an act of violence who:

  • was under the age of 18 when the act of violence was committed
  • has impaired capacity
  • is the victim of an act of violence involving a sexual offence
  • was harmed or injured by a person in a position of power, influence or trust over the victim at the time the act of violence was committed
  • is being threatened or intimidated by the person who committed the act of violence, or by someone else.

If the victim is not considered to be a special primary victim, the crime must be reported to police.

Evidence of injury

To be eligible for financial assistance, the victim must have sustained an injury as a direct result of the act of violence (except for related victims). Injury is defined as one or more of the following (s 27 VOCA Act):

  • bodily injury
  • mental illness or disorder (including anxiety and depression)
  • intellectual impairment
  • disease
  • unwanted pregnancy (as a consequence of rape)
  • the adverse impacts of a sexual offence or domestic and family violence include:
    • a sense of violation
    • reduced self-worth or perception
    • lost or reduced physical immunity
    • lost or reduced physical capacity (including the capacity to have children) whether temporary or permanent
    • increased fear or increased feelings of insecurity
    • the adverse effect of others reacting adversely to the person
    • the adverse impact on lawful sexual relations.

Evidence of an injury could include a medical certificate from a health practitioner, or a victim can submit other medical records such as a hospital discharge summary or a letter from a doctor. If a victim cannot provide evidence of injury with their application, Victim Assist Queensland can (with the victim’s consent) gather evidence from a range of sources, including Queensland Police Service, Queensland Ambulance Service, Child Safety Services, Queensland Health, Queensland Courts, registered health practitioners, counsellors, domestic and family violence services or sexual assault services.