Last updated 31 October 2022

The Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (Qld) (RTRA Act) sets out specific dispute resolution processes that apply to rooming accommodation disputes where they have not been resolved through negotiation or any other dispute resolution process.

Such disputes may be resolved by conciliation through the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) or ultimately by an application to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

If a dispute arises about the agreement, the resident or service provider can contact the RTA for information to find out what steps to take.

If the resident and service provider cannot sort out the dispute by speaking with each other, the RTA’s Dispute Resolution Service can help the parties to sort out the dispute themselves.

The RTA’s Dispute Resolution Service offers free services to resolve disputes. The RTA’s conciliators can provide information on the RTRA Act, identify the steps to follow to resolve the dispute and arrange a meeting between the provider and the resident.

Under the RTRA Act, residents and providers must seek the help of the Dispute Resolution Service before they can apply to the tribunal for a decision.