Last updated 31 October 2022

There are two systems operating for people to make a complaint about a facility:

Generally, you are encouraged to attempt to resolve your concern using the provider’s internal system of complaint handling. If not successful then anyone can raise a complaint about an aged-care provider or about anything concerning the operation of the facility with the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission. The commission only covers government-subsidised aged-care facilities and the legislation gives it wide powers to investigate complaints including such things as the quality of care being received by aged-care residents, the choice of activities, personal care, catering, communication and physical environment.

If you are not happy with the outcome or decision of the complaints process, then you can seek a review of the decision by stating the reasons for your request to the review manager of the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission (for more information view the commission’s factsheet on the right to seek a review). Care should be taken in this regard as strict time limits apply:

  • If you are not satisfied with a decision of the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commissioner, you have 42 days after receiving the decision letter to seek a review.
  • If you have a concern about the complaints process, you must raise it with the Ombudsman within 12 months of the completion of the process.

The commission can refer a complaint to another agency, such as police or the ombudsman, which can assess and review a facility’s accreditation as an approved facility as a consequence of the complaint.