Last updated 14 March 2022

Making a safety plan

A person living with domestic and family violence should consider developing a safety plan for their own benefit and that of their children. Regardless of whether the person decides to stay in the relationship or is thinking of leaving, they need to think carefully about safety. This can include:

  • having a bag packed ready to leave
  • thinking about safe ways to leave
  • letting trusted people know about the abuse
  • programming the police number into your telephone or having a spare set of keys or important documents hidden where you can get them easily.

It is recommended that assistance is sought from a domestic violence service to develop a safety plan.

To get assistance with this call DV Connect on 1800 811 811 or visit their website.

Emergency accommodation

Refuges, safe houses or shelters can provide safe and secure accommodation for women and children fleeing domestic violence. The location and details of these refuges are kept confidential and are not available to the public.

Refuge staff can assist with supporting women and children during this time and offer accommodation, referral services, financial counselling, emotional support and legal support. Most refuges require a weekly financial contribution to cover costs. It is generally determined according to the income of the aggrieved.

Centrelink emergency payment

It is important to contact Centrelink and advise them of any change in circumstances. An emergency payment may be possible if it can be established that the aggrieved had to leave their home due to domestic violence. This payment is not a loan and is not repayable, and it will assist with the costs of re-establishing a home. For further information visit Services Australia.

Victim Assist Queensland

Victim Assist Queensland is the Queensland Government scheme focussing on assisting the recovery of victims injured as a result of an act of violence through provision of financial assistance outlined in the Victims of Crime Assistance Act 2009 (Qld). 

Expenses, such as childcare, home relocation, change of name, storage, upgrades to security, furniture, white goods, rent at an emergency shelter, and medical, dental and counselling expenses may be met if an application is successful.

For further assistance call 1300 546 587 or visit Victim Assist Queensland.