Last updated 14 April 2022

To enable payment to be made by banks, life assurance societies and building societies, death has to be proved. This is done by production of a death certificate.

Death certificates may be obtained for a fee from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Outside Brisbane, application should be made to the District Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages nearest to the deceased’s place of death.

Death of joint tenant

While the ownership of jointly held property passes to the survivor or survivors on the death of a joint tenant, it is necessary in respect of land to establish the joint tenant’s death for the Registrar of Titles, so that the register and any title deed can be noted accordingly. For this purpose, all that is required to be lodged in the Titles Office is the death certificate, the certificate of title to the property (if one is issued) and a request to record death by the surviving joint tenant(s).