Last updated 20 May 2020

According to the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Cth) (Freedom of Information Act), access to documents held by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) may be sought informally by request to the case officer concerned or formally through the freedom-of-information process.

A formal request must be in writing (Form 424A) to the Freedom of Information Unit of the DHA, stating that the request is made under the Freedom of Information Act. The DHA is required to take all reasonable steps to ensure that a decision is made upon the request as soon as possible, and no later than 30 days after it was received. No application fee or subsequent charges can be charged if the request relates to an applicant’s personal information. If it is considered that personal information so obtained is inaccurate or otherwise may mislead the DHA in its actions, a request may be made to change the record.