Making an Application to Court for the Maintenance of an Adult Child

This kit is current at 1 November 2016.

A child support assessment or agreement ceases to be in force when a child turns 18 years of age. If that child is still completing secondary education, an application can be made to the Child Support Registrar for an extension until the last day of school.

If a child is 18 years old and is undertaking tertiary education, the child or the carer parent can apply to the Federal Circuit Court for maintenance or child support from the other parent, if an agreement could not be reached.

This kit outlines in detail how to prepare and file the necessary documents at court, what to expect at the hearing, how to organise legal representation if necessary and what to do with the court order. It also provides contact details of where to go for further assistance.

adult-child-maintenance-coverDownload a copy of this self-help kit.